THE Y FOR
We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
Counseling and TherapyCounseling is provided by licensed marriage and family therapists and/or marriage and family therapist interns with
specific training and experience in working with the unique issues
experienced by families caring for an individual with special needs. Interns are supervised by a licensed marriage and family therapist. Counseling sessions are offered on a sliding fee scale based on
family income, and clients are charged a per-session rate.
Caregivers and siblings
In working with family members, we provide counseling to individuals, couples or families depending on the need. Our counseling services focus mainly on the following issues:
- Stress management and coping
- System navigation
- Family communication and social support
- Grief and acceptance of new or existing diagnosis
- Sibling understanding of special needs and coping
Individuals on the autism spectrum:
- Building self-awareness and self-acceptance
- Behavior modification
- Emotion management
- Social skills training
- Learning to organize, plan, problem-solve and focus
- Managing and treating anxiety and depression
To schedule an appointment for counseling services:
Call 619-543-9850, ext. 12431 or send email to Melissa Morais Parr, LMFT 52656, email@example.com.
Social Skills Group for Youth
A fun and engaging social skills group for youth ages 8-12 with social challenges. Using Michelle Garcia Winner’s creative and fun Superflex Superhero curriculum, children will learn how to become flexible social thinkers and therefore have better and longer lasting friendships. Come join us for this fun and affordable group!
- Children will learn how to become flexible social thinkers and practice their skills in a group setting with other children.
- For youth ages 8-12 years old
- Cost is $35 per session per child and run on a drop-in basis with no longterm commitment.
- Groups are held on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. (actual dates are dependent on registration).
- Children must go through an initial screening prior to joining the group to determine appropriateness.
- Have a child that does not fall into the age range? Contact us anyway — we are flexible in adjusting ages and creating additional groups according to interest.
Download a flier (PDF)