THE Y FOR
We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
Families united Group conferencing
YMCA Families United Family Group Conferencing is a three year federally funded demonstration project that is partnering with the County of San Diego Child Welfare Services (CWS) to offer and provide a model of service called Family Group Conferencing (FGC) throughout San Diego County. This service is free of cost to eligible families.
Family Group Conferencing (FGC) is a family-led process in which the Child Welfare Service-involved (CWS) families and invited participants come together to discuss how to implement and execute a plan for safety and stable placement for a child, based on the requirements of CWS. Key elements of the FGC process are comprehensive preparation for the meeting by a YMCA FGC coordinator; allowance for private family meeting time, without service providers; and incorporation of the family’s own cultural practices.
- Promote exit from CWS via reunification and placement with kin.
- Prevent entry and re-entry into CWS.
- Strengthen caregiver capacity to care for children in a way that promotes safety, permanency, and well-being.
- Up to five FGC meetings as needed
- Ongoing support to assist the family in achieving their identified goals
- Accessibility to education and resource materials within the community
We Serve:Families that have an open voluntary case with Child Welfare Services and who have been referred by a CWS Voluntary Supervisor in San Diego County.
- Families are empowered to make decisions about the best way to raise their children safely and effectively in alignment with their own cultural values and practices.
- Families are given the opportunity to identify and widen their own network and support systems in order to create a safe and enriching environment for their children.
Estavillo is a Families United program coordinator and a bilingual marriage and family therapy intern.
Read his profile
Gwendolyn Shelton is a Families United program coordinator. Read her profile.
Gwendolyn Shelton is a Families United program coordinator and marriage and family therapy intern. Read her profile.
4080 Centre Street Suite 103
San Diego, CA 92103