We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
- « HOUSING & YOUTH
- INDEPENDENT LIVING
- MARY'S HOUSE TLP
- TURNING POINT TLP
- URBAN TEACHER FELLOWS
- TOMMIES PLACE
- STREET OUTREACH
- TAY ACADEMY
- TRANSITIONAL HOUSING
- WELL-BEING ANNEX
San Diego Urban teacher Fellows program
The Urban Teacher Fellows (UTF) program is a Career Pathway into Teaching Model that supports students while they are enrolled as a liberal arts major at San Diego City College. Once the students complete the transfer requirements for liberal arts, the students gain automatic admission to San Diego State University to continue their education.
- 17 to 21 years old
- High school diploma or GED
- Meet low-income requirements
- Meet "barrier to to employment" requirements
- Live in metro San Diego
- Interest in changing and inspiring the lives of children
- Desire to gain valuable employment experience
- Motivation to gain a college degree
What We Do:
- Assist students in obtaining their educational goals of earning a certificate or Associate Degree in Liberal Arts from San Diego City College
- Students enroll in classes together at City College (cohort model)
- Each student is assigned a Case Manager
- Case management
- Job development assistance
- Tutoring for all students
- Team building (monthly event for students)
- Earn financial assistance for food, transportation and school supplies
- Guaranteed priority registration for UTF cohort classes
- Students remain in most classes together reserved specifically for UTF students
- Students learn to rely on a learning community while having the same coursework as their peers
- Students have the
opportunity to gain part-time work experience with children in a community
ContactFor more information about San Diego Urban Teacher Fellows, contact:
619.281.8313 ext. 10713
Arlyne Rodriguez joined the YMCA San Diego’s Urban Teacher Fellows (UTF) program in 2013. UTF assists students who want to become future educators in underserved urban neighborhoods in San Diego. The program supports students while they are enrolled as a liberal arts major at San Diego City College. Once the students complete the transfer requirements for liberal arts, they gain automatic admission to San Diego State University (SDSU) to continue their education.
Read Arlyne's Story...
San Diego City College1313 Park Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101
Main Office2929 Meade Avenue
San Diego, CA 92116
- UTF Application (PDF)
utf in the news...
Copyright © 2015 YMCA of San Diego County. All rights reserved.
The YMCA of San Diego County is dedicated to improving the quality of human life and to helping all people realize their fullest potential as children of God through the development of the spirit, mind and body.
Youth & Family Services | 4080 Centre St. Ste. 103, San Diego, CA 92103 | 619.543.9850 | Corporate Site